Monday 18 June 2012

The Adventures of Geek Dad: A Return to Madness

Good Monday all!

Well I do have some henchmen info for you all, but I'm going to save that for tomorrow. So keep your eyes peeled and your palms sweaty (or whatever).

Instead today I'm going to talk about sick kids.

Unfortunately my little moo has been sick for some time. The doc says it's nothing serious, just a cold, but it is sticking around.

It started about two weeks ago with a runny nose and sneezes, last weekend it was joined with conjunctivitis, which was hastily investigated by the doc and we were given a nasty gel to put in her eye.

Over the weekend however, as the conjunctivitis began to vacate her body, she developed a fever and a cough.

We don't think it's anything to worry about but we're keeping an eye on her, and making sure she has her regular doses of calpol.

Thankfully this morning, rather than burning up like she was last night, she just feels warm, she didn't really have a problem sleeping through the night and I am sure she had a very thorough feed when she woke up earlier (she was only starting to stir when I was leaving for work).

What was very, upsetting, was her screaming the past few nights. Her patience has really gone down and her hunger demands have shot up. This makes sense as she's unwell, but my god does she have a sense of lungs on her.

You see, with the moo we've been very lucky. She hardly ever cries and is usually a very happy child, it is only now that she is sick she is screaming rather than her usual pathetic sobs of hunger.

In addition, Sunday morning was the first time in about 6 months that she was awake before 0600 asking for a feed. But my god did I feel it. My eyes were spread agitated, my muscles hurt, and the poor baby in my arms was just screaming at the top of her lungs.

But she was fed, changed and then put back into her bed where she went on to sleep until 0800, a perfectly reasonable time.

The thing is, I can't imagine how someone could do that every night. I know parents who had to do night feeds every single night for the first 6 months. Yes there is a chance that Moo could start demanding that too, but she's slowly developing a taste for solids, and it's only a matter of time before we ween her off her 11pm feed and have her sleep right through (with hope), the chances of her reverting to new born behaviour is very slim.

And so to everyone, mother or father, who has had to go through this, my best wishes go out to you. It's not fun, but it needs to be done.

- and let me tell you, the possibility of having a child who would be like that is all the more reasons I don't want another child!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment