Monday 15 October 2012

Something Wicked: Finale

Good Monday all,

So to get the ball rolling this week, it's time to reveal my completed Baby Kade.

Now before I show case this model, which I'm sure many of you have already seen thanks to Twitter I'd like to explain how the process went. In fact I might as well take this opportunity to walk you through the process from stage 1.

So Baby Kade arrived, as was previously discussed I dumped a load of Greenstuff on his head which was shaped into a rough sphere before segmenting into 1/8ths and then once done sliced eyes and a mouth into the 'head'.

This allowed me to create the model you all saw in the last post:


You will notice the milliputted ground and the tombstone complete with Birdy.

The second stage was to undercoat the whole thing white followed by a brown wash. This allows me to bring out detail instantly and aids to my shading. It's a technique I've only been using recently (my Hooded Rider was the first model I ever tried it on).

I then painted up the mud on the base, applied static grass and got started with the tombstone.


As you can see from the above picture, it's starting to come together, but I was not happy with my free hand detail on the tombstone, as you can see with the following picture:


Frankly the whole thing looked amateur, so using a particularly old and thick pot of red paint, I layered it up, applied a black wash and then repainted the red.

The effect this had you can see shortly.

Next was to paint the little man himself.

I won't bore you with a step by step guide of how this was done, I'm sure you can all guess and if you really do want to know, let me know and I'll tell you personally.


I was then left with the above model. Teddy was unpainted, and I was unsure which direction to go with the grass. I had some ideas, but one thing I didn't want to do was leave everything too 'brown'.

Thanks to some advice and inspiration from the Twittersphere I painted up Teddy as a standard teddy bear, making him brown with white patches, and in contrast to this, made the grass green.

- For those of you who don't use any sort of grass, but have been thinking of doing so, I really recommend the Dead Grass by GW. The yellow colouring is great by itself, but also lends itself well for inking and painting, allowing you to make it any colour you want! Now that's good economics!

This left me with the following:


As you can see, most of his colouring is quite dark, but this was done on purpose the encourage the orange of the pumpkin to 'pop'!





And these two shots show the finalised detailing on the tombstone.

And there we have it, what I can only describe as my entry into my Halloween Painting/Modelling contest for my tournament.

With hindsight, I really enjoyed this model. It was a fun learning experience for me, and I'm really happy with the end result.

And on that note, I'm going to leave you all and enjoy what is left of my bath.

See you all breachside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment