Monday 29 April 2013

The Adventures of Geek Dad: Back to Work

Good Monday everyone!

It's been a while, but I thought it best to give you all a Geek Dad update.

So as of Friday 19th I have been off work, that's 1 week and 1 day, and today I'm on my way back to the office.

What's strange, the thing I am missing most about not being at work wasn't the days spent on Warcraft or Diablo, or the opportunities to nap, or the time spent thinking about (but not actually doing) updating MaliQuest.

No, the thing I miss the most was spending time with both my wife and mini moo.



It's funny how every time I post a Geek Dad update, it always feels like so much has happened between posts, and this time is no different.

She's now wearing size 4 shoes and walking around like a big girl! To the extent this week we even started letting her walk to nursery! Of course we have a walking harness so that we can stop her running off into the road or places she isn't supposed to go, but she's been loving it!

She's been jumping into puddles and exploring different floor textures and just generally been loving the opportunity to be (almost) free.

We've also found that she seems to be obsessed by animals, and as a test of this I put on the film 'Cats & Dogs' as part of our Saturday afternoon film, just to see how she would react. The reaction was stronger than expected, jumping up and down, running in circles, all the while pointing at the screen showing her excitement for having so many of her favourite animals on the screen.

Of course my other attempts at showing her quality films have fallen flat, The Dark Crystal, The Neverending Story, both of these had little to no interest in. But I suppose that isn't entirely bad, as she also has no interest in the pure trash that TV insists kids should watch.

Of course her vocabulary has also increased so much in the past few months. We can't have an actual conversation yet, but she clearly understands what I am saying, and responds in kind, and can now in a limited manner tell us verbally what she wants.

I guess what I'm getting at, every time I have to go back to work after spending even just a weekend with my family, I really miss spending time with them, and I can't wait until I can do it again.

Thankfully next weekend is a Bank Holiday Monday! So that's 3 days with the family!

Stay safe, and I'll see you breachside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

1 comment: