Tuesday 27 August 2013

Lessons Learned from play-testing: Game 2

Good evening everyone!

So earlier today I shared with you in brief how the very first game of CRYPTS went, and it was fun however very easy once the caster had the epic DPS spell.

So how did the second game go?

It was interesting to say the least.




First things first, I nerfed all damage on all weapons, this was done by making all weapons roll only 1d6 for damage, in doing so this drastically reduced the amount of medium and critical damage that was being dealt, this was good!




Next I changed how AoEs worked to make damage from that a lot lower, and as the game progressed I also reduced the range of AoEs, suddenly the OMGWTF power of the Epic Spell was replaced by "this is better than the other spells, but isn't auto win" which was the intent.

Then I made a fundamental change to encounters, now every single door started a new encounter, even if that door lead to an encounter, this began some on the fly rules generation, when the encounter was for 9 Imps, but space for only 8!

But it wasn't long before the damage started piling up on the Posse, and I made a critical mistake - I had not informed the party how to Resurrect by use of Blood Shards, and as such they had used up all their shards so when the melee member died, we had no way to bring her back.

Following on from her death, in the next room the caster also met his untimely end and the game was finished.

But what did I learn from this? Other than ensuring players knew about Shard management, groups need to make use of healing, as a couple of concessive criticals from a Skeleton brings you very quickly to your knees.

And thus ended game 2 and this post!

Join me later for an overall - moving forward post!

Until then, stay safe and I'll see you Cryptside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment