Friday 17 January 2014

Of Hell and things!

Good Friday everyone!

How has everyone been today? All good?

No? Oh, well... Not much I can say about that...

You at the back, how have you been? Good! Fantastic!

Me? I've been good, been doing a bit more painting and reading of Hell Dorado, and soon I'll be ready to put out my informed (but not played) review.

You see it is going to be quite a while until I'll be able to actually play a game due to many not-very-complex-but-annoying-all-the-same reasons, but despite all of this I'm hoping to put out a review next week.

Within this review I will be talking not so much about how the game plays, as right now that's all theorycraft to me, but instead how I am finding the models, how the fluff is written and comes across, the controversy of the game but also how easy or difficult I am finding it to pick up the rules.

This is an interesting thing you see, and something that I'd like to go into here rather than the review, if only to reduce the word length to a sensible to a non-lethal level.

****************

I've already talked at length about how I struggle a lot with rules, how I can read a rule book from cover to cover and go "shit! I don't know how to play that", so I'll re read it, and then go "fuck! I still don't know how to play that!"

This was my experience when I first picked up the game Warhammer 40,000 (however I was only like 10 or something) this was the same with other Games Workshop games like Necromunda and Blood Bowl.

This experience carried on with modern games such as Malifaux and truth be told is pretty much still with me to a lesser extent now.

I don't think it is a flaw with the games, but more about how my brain interprets the data, it just doesn't like it that way.

"So how did I learn to play these games?" I hear you ask; well friends the answer is simple: Demos!

Yup almost every single game I have ever learned to play was by a friend of mine (usually Tom) learning the game before hand and then teaching me through demo games.

****************
On a side note, I think this was why I really loved being a Henchman, as I got to pay that forward.
****************

So not really being able to see or play in demos, I think it will be very interesting for me to lay out how I found the learning experience for Hell Dorado, but also give a very brief explanation of how the game plays out. That way if I have it wrong I can be corrected in a timely manner.

***********

I mentioned before that I hope to discuss the models, this will of course be accompanied by pictures of my (with hope) completed models that I have too.

In order to speed up this process and with hope make the end result much better I've put my painting queue aside (I actually have a painting queue! For the first time in literally years!) and am focussing exclusively on my Hell Dorado models.

*************
I'd live to talk about how I'm finding that, but sadly that has to wait until the review.
*************

Ok I think we're done here!
So on that note, stay safe and I'll see you Cryptside!

- Your friendly neighbourhood Doctor Loxley

No comments:

Post a Comment